By the Numbers
by The Editor
SERIES: By the Numbers is a new series – a collection of 10 interesting numbers from current affairs and Inside Politics articles. I shall try to run it each Friday (if not every Friday then most Fridays) – hopefully, some more light-hearted reading for the end of the week. Below the main graphic, I have linked to the source of as many of the numbers as possible.
By the Numbers
By: Gareth van Onselen
7 September 2012
[To see the graphic full scale, right click over it and select ‘view image‘]
• 19. The number of ANC-run provincial department websites that don’t work.
• 2.5 million. The amount parliament spent on ‘flowers and decorations’ in 2011, according to its annual report.
• 57.2% The amount spent by the City of Cape Town on the poor according to Cape Town Mayor Patricia de Lille (R10.8 billion out of an R18 billion budget)
• 76% The corresponding amount for the Western Cape Government, according to Premier Helen Zille.
• 522 million. The least amount in Rands Jacob Zuma will cost the taxpayer in Ministerial Handbook privileges over a five year term.
• 199. How much that R522 million works to per minute.
• 9.1 million. The amount the Department of Defence spent on ‘entertainment’ in 2011.
• 0. The amount the Department of Cooperative Governance spent on ‘entertainment’ in 2012.
• 50. The number of ANC-run provincial departments, out of 86, which failed to upload their 2011 annual reports to their websites.
• 31. The number of drivers employed by the Presidency, according to its 2011 annual report.
To follow Inside Politics by e-mail simply go to the bottom of the page and fill in your address. When you confirm it, you will receive an e-mail the moment any new post is loaded to the site.
Hi, Maybe if Mineral affairs had bought some food for the sqatter canp at Marikana they would have more credibility ….heh.heh.. Tragic.